Friday, September 14, 2012

TIRED but it's worth it (I think...)

I've been feeling guilty because my oldest daughter, Kellis, a sophomore, gets up before 6 a.m. for school--and I tend to get up right about the same time. She goes straight downstairs to eat her Apple Cinnamon Cheerios, and I head to the bathroom to wash my face, brush my teeth, and throw on some dog-walking clothes. Turns out she really hates going downstairs to a fully dark house, having to turn on all the lights, eating alone and in silence. It may sound babyish or selfish of her, but I completely understand. She's gone all day, and who wants to start the day in a dark soulless house where it seems like everyone's asleep but you? So I decided to start being down in the kitchen before she gets up, so the house will be "alive" for her in the morning. AND IT IS KILLING ME!!! Today is Friday and I have successfully completed my first full school week of getting up BEFORE Kellis, and being downstairs by around 5:45 a.m. Yesterday I even baked pumpkin muffins. I'm making coffee, unloading the dishwasher, folding laundry, making lists, planning dinner, and all this before 6:30 a.m. In a way it's like a miracle. I'm feeling really productive, I'm feeling like a good mom, I'm feeling TIRED. I have no idea if she's noticed. But I'm going to keep at it.

No comments: